The Youth Department (4 volunteers opportunities available)
YMCA Bournemouth’s youth department offers a variety of youth-led projects for young people aged 5-25 years old in the Bournemouth, Poole and Dorset area, which focus on Equality, Diversity and community inclusion. Activities include open access youth work, children’s youth work, disability youth action projects and holiday activities, citizenship, community outreach and peer mentoring.
The main activities will include:
- To support staff and volunteers in various youth centre settings across Bournemouth and Dorset to delivery youth action projects.
- To support staff to plan youth work activities and sessions.
- Building professional relationships with the young people within youth sessions, promoting wellbeing and providing guidance and advice.
- Encourage children and young people to engage in activities such as cooking, arts and crafts, table tennis, pool and outdoor games.
- Attend conferences, meetings or training sessions related to youth work and the organisation.
- Deliver youth action projects within the community for young people.
- Support young people to design and deliver community events.
- To evaluate the projects and children and young people’s development through using evaluation tools such as “Outcome Star”.
- Assist staff in delivering holiday activities for children and young people.
- To support staff to deliver accreditation schemes across the department such as AQA unit awards for young people.
- Help in producing promotional materials: magazines, posters, videos, etc with young people.
- Updating social media outlets to promote the work of the department (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
- Assisting with administrative tasks within the office. This may include creating session plans.