- This event has passed.
16th April 2016 @ 8:00 pm - 17th April 2016 @ 8:00 am
Sleep rough so others don’t have to!
Sleep Easy is a YMCA fundraising initiative raising money to help change the lives of vulnerable people. Since the event began in 2010, almost 1 million pounds have been raised by hundreds of people across the UK who chose to sleep rough for just one night to support their local YMCAs.
The aim is simple: spend a night sleeping rough at this year’s event location – St Michael’s CE Primary School. Your money goes directly to our YMCA Bournemouth projects; supporting your community and our residents to move on independently and build a brighter future. People just like Laura; she had troubles with family and was put into foster care. Being just 16 at the time she was weak, insecure and suffered low confidence. Laura was given accommodation in the YMCA and moved in within 3 hours of asking for help. With the support of YMCA staff, their devotion, their security, support and protection it has made Laura the strong, confident person she is today. “I gained independence by living on my own and I’ve become a good able student at college …I can go to university within the next few years and achieve my career goal of being a nurse.”
Read Laura’s full story here.
To give you an idea of how your money is spent:
- £5 could provide a counselling session to someone who needs to talk to someone they can trust
- £22 could provide a one hour intensive 1:1 support session with a trained support worker
- £50 could provide accommodation and 2 hours support for a week for a person in living in our accommodation
To take part in Sleep Easy 2016, you must be 18+ and be in relatively good health.
The Event starts at 8pm on Saturday April 16th and runs for 12 hours, with participants leaving no earlier than 8am the next morning. You can come alone and make new friends or bring a group of friends with you.
Registration Fee: £5/person.
Fundraising target: minimum £50/person
- To register, please fill up the online application form HERE
- To pay the registration fee, please visit: https://mydonate.bt.com/events/sleepeasy16 and click ”Donate now” button. Making sure you enter your Full Name followed by ‘Sleep Easy Registration’ when asked to include a message with your donation.
- Deadline for registration is 5pm, Monday April 4, 2016.
YMCA Bournemouth would like to thank the following for their support: